Monday, July 22, 2013

It's Snack Time!

Hello there!
 Today's post is pretty simple but I think it will help some of you when deciding what to eat as snacks. First of all, I think that it is important that you know that a "snack time", as I like to call it,  should take place in between and after your big meals every 2 hours. 
For example, this is my eating routine everyday...

8 AM: Breakfast
10 AM: Snack Time
12 PM: Lunch 
2 PM: Snack Time
4 PM: Dinner
6 PM: Snack Time

It is really important that you eat at least 5 times a day to keep your metabolism going. 
I know there are some people that don't get hungry throughout the day but it 
is essential to your body to keep giving it food. 
So what to eat during snack time? Choose a protein and a carbohydrate. You should always try to pair those two up during snack time because they work together; the protein foods contain fiber which help you stay fuller and the carbohydrates give you energy. What I usually like to eat as my protein food is mozzarella string cheese (because its one of the few cheeses that are low in fat), nonfat yogurt, or almonds/nuts. As for my carbohydrates, I either choose a fruit or vegetable. I love pairing up the string cheese with grapes! But actually, the choices are endless. I also like to keep small plastic bags with about 3 oz. of baby carrots in case I don't feel like eating fruit. For those of you who enjoy shakes, you can also make a fruit shake and add protein powder and that'll count as your snack. (By the way, I love making shakes after workouts, it's very satisfying!)    
Another thing to consider is that you should try to switch up what you eat during your snack time. You don't want your body to adapt to eating the same exact thing every day, so switch it up!
And like always, remember to eat in small portions! 

Feel free to comment below and leave your favorite snack foods or if you have any comments or questions!

- Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment